Site Admin

Quackers/Friends Solar Inquiry

Post by UniversityLutheran »

Quackers/Friends Solar Inquiry
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 5:51 AM
To: University Lutheran Church
Subject: RE: ULC Contact Email

Terry,
Thank you very much for the information. We have a bid in from a lighting contractor to convert our existing lights to LED but to keep them on 110V. That bid with a new pole is $6300. It would also be nice to move the pole closest to the building to expand handicap parking so your option is attractive in that regard. I will pass this information on to my committee.

Regards,

J. Chris Guy
Senior Calibration Technician
1415 W. 3rd St Suite 109
Tempe, AZ 85281
480 303 2507
chris.guy@crbard.com.

From: University Lutheran Church [mailto:tech@ulctempe.org]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2015 3:54 PM
To: Guy, Chris
Cc: pastor@ulctempe.org

Chris…. I probably should have added – K2 was a big help with clearing all the legal city stuff as well such as underground digging, height issues, distance from power lines, etc. Again, great people. Terry

From: University Lutheran Church [mailto:tech@ulctempe.org]
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 3:51 PM
To: 'chris.guy@crbard.com.'
Cc: 'pastor@ulctempe.org'

Chris,

Pastor Gary McCluskey has forwarded your email to me. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions. Also, feel free to call and chat. My cell phone number is 602-615-5584.

These lights were not cheap either, but a cost analysis which included possibly running electrical cables under our cement, the load on our current circuits made the solar option viable.

Up to this point, I personally feel we made a good investment. We did have some issues with the manufacture initially, but when that was solved our local installer made some modifications and everything went well. The issue initially was the “Arm Assembly” did not fit into the “Pole” (Figure 7 in the attached PDF).

We had to go through a three step Vendor process:
• Where to buy them. We settled on SOL (PDF attached)
• We had to work through a local distributor to purchase – Independent Electric Supply, Tempe
• Then we had to have them installed – K2 Electric, Phoenix

Cost for three lights:
• We purchased three lights at $11,313.00 (in 2012)
• Shipping/Freight (Truck) - $600
• Installation - $2,351 – This include a crane, sub-contractor for digging the holes, and scissor lift for installing the head unit

Every FIVE years we will have to purchase new batteries (about $600 each at today’s prices), rent a scissor lift, and pay for (or do it ourselves) to install the batteries. So we have put $2,000 in the budget every five years for this. We hope we can get 20-25 years of life (or longer) with these lights.

Now in 2015, I “think” K2 Electric may be able to act as distributor/installer making everything much less complicated. Our contact at K2 is Matt Kuiper, 602-454-7800. This contract is not cheap, but probably one of the most reliable and straight-shooters I’ve ever worked with.

These lights are used through Glendale, Scottsdale and several business throughout the valley. The company Sol can probably give you more references.

Although we were not successful, you should also call APS to see if they can work with you with grant money, discounts with vendors, etc. If you find success with APS, please let us know.

Hope this helps,
Terry Pochert
602-615-5584 personal cell
tech@ulctempe.org

From: chris.guy@crbard.com. [mailto:chris.guy@crbard.com]
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 1:01 PM
To: pastor@ulctempe.org
Subject: ULC Contact Email

Pastor McCluskey,
As you may have noticed, one of our TMM parking lot lights succumbed to gravity. I have one quote for replacing the existing lights with LEDS and a new pole for $6300! I noticed you have new solar powered lights. Can you tell me where you purchased them and give me a ball park figure as to their cost?
Regards,
J. Chris Guy
Tempe Monthly Meeting 480-359-1738 cell